Do you know what is FSSAI? (FSSAI) If not then it does not matter because in today’s article you will get to read complete information about FSSAI. Everyone likes packaged food, street food or outside food.
We eat them with great gusto with pleasure and have full faith in the creator. But have you ever thought that whatever we are eating from the market is pure food or not? How do we know if someone has given away contaminated or poisonous food items?
FSSAI works to uphold this trust amongst the customers and food manufacturers and to provide us pure and nutritious food. In today’s article, you will be given complete information about FSSAI , where you will know the answers to questions like what is FSSAI , what is the work of FSSAI , how to do FSSAI license/registration etc. So let’s go ahead and know the complete information in detail.
What is the full form of FSSAI?
The full form of FSSAI is ” Food Safety and Standards Authority of India” . ” Food Safety and Standards Authority of India “
What is FSSAI? – What is FSSAI full information.
fssai kya hai
Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) is an autonomous statutory body that regulates food safety and standards in India so that we can get clean and nutritious food to maintain our health. FSSAI is administered by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
The headquarter of FSSAI is located in New Delhi. It has 6 offices in India which are located in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Guwahati, Chennai and Cochin. It was established in the year 2008 under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006
The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 sets science-based standards for food and regulates their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and importation to ensure the availability of safe and nutritious food for human consumption.
Before the passing of this law, food security in the country was managed under the following Acts.
- Vegetable Oil Products (Control) Order, 1947
- Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954
- Fruit Products Order, 1955
- Meat Food Products Order, 1973
Apart from these, some other Acts were enacted. But the government passed the FSSAI Act, 2006 and merged the rules and regulations of all the above mentioned Acts together.
Know what is IAS and how to become an IAS officer?
Functions of FSSAI
Following are the functions performed by FSSAI:
- Checking the standards of food items – The quality and standard of food manufactured by all the companies registered under FSSAI is checked by the organization itself.
- Determination of Guidelines and Rules – In order to maintain the quality and safety of food, some rules and guidelines are set by FSSAI, which all the manufacturing companies follow.
- Conducting regular audits – Regular inspections are carried out in companies during construction to ensure the standards are as per the guidelines.
- Grant of license – To pursue any food business, the owner needs a certificate and license which is provided by FSSAI.
- Food Safety Awareness Campaign – It is the responsibility of FSSAI to inform and make people aware about the importance of safe and clean food.
- Maintaining Records and Data – FSSAI is responsible for maintaining proper records and data of all registered organizations. If any organization violates the rules set by FSSAI then its license can be terminated.
- Keeping the government updated – further action if any food security threat is found
- For this information is given to government organizations. Also, they are assisted by FSSAI in making food standard policies.
Structure of FSSAI
The FSSAI team consists of a chairman appointed by the central government and 22 other members, of which one-third are women members. Apart from this, a strong team of scientists and researchers is also involved to check the quality of the food.
Separate committees and panels are also formed in which many other scientists work. FSSAI is responsible for setting standards related to food ingredients and works to clear confusion and resolve issues amongst customers, manufacturers, traders and investors.
Some Important Initiatives Launched by FSSAI
Keeping in mind the safety and standards of food items, many important initiatives were taken by FSSAI. You can see some of these important initiatives below.
Eat Right India – The objective of this initiative is to provide good quality food along with providing food to every citizen of the country.
Save Food, Share Food and Share Joy – People are taught not to waste food and donate food. Under this initiative, FSSAI works with the objective of connecting food gathering agencies and manufacturing companies.
Clean Street Food – In this street food vendors are trained and told about the violations as per the FSS Act, 2006. It helps in the economic and social upliftment of street food vendors.
Diet4Life – Under this initiative, people are made aware about metabolic disorders.
What is FSSAI License? – What is FSSAI License full information.
Manufacturers, retailers, distributors and transporters are granted a license to conduct food business in India, which is called the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India License (FSSAI License) . These licenses are of three types depending on the food business and turnover, which you can see below.
Types of FSSAI License
Basic FSSAI License – This license is given to small and small scale industries. Whose turnover is less than 12 lakh rupees. Its duration varies from one to five years.
State FSSAI License – This is for those middle class producers and sellers whose annual turnover is more than 12 lakh rupees. It is also valid for one to five years.
Central FSSAI License – This license is given to food traders with an annual turnover of more than Rs 20 crore.
How to Apply for FSSAI License or Registration?
You can apply for FSSAI license through both offline and online modes. To apply offline, you have to submit Form A and B to the Food and Safety department.
Follow the steps given below to apply for FSSAI license online:
- To apply for the license, first you have to visit the portal of FoSCoS .
- After opening the website, click on the button of Apply License/Registration.
- Now select the location of your food unit like Regular, Railways, Airport or Seaport.
- Now select your business type and eligibility for license/registration.
- Now fill the premises details and select the appropriate food product category and product.
- Now a 17 digit user ID will be created based on the application reference number. Note this is your user ID , as you will need it to log in in the future.
- After that fill your communication details and upload the required documents.
- Finally pay the fee and submit the application.
Post Submission Process
1. If the FSSAI registration form has been accepted or rejected by the department, it will be replied to you within 7 days.
2. Your form will be scrutinized by the department.
3. The department may visit your food premises to check if required before providing the FSSAI Registration Certificate.
4. If the department is satisfied that you have complied with all the criteria, it will send the FSSAI registration certificate to your email ID along with a registration number and your photograph. You can also download this certificate by logging into the FoSCoS portal .
Documents Required for FSSAI License
Some of the documents required during FSSAI license application are as follows:
- passport size photograph of the applicant
- An identity card such as Aadhar card, voter card or driving license
- residence certificate
- Authority letter with name and address of the applicant
Challenges for FSSAI
Providing a safe and quality food to every citizen of the country is not an easy task. There are many challenges before FSSAI, if FSSAI overcomes these then it can easily regulate and maintain food safety standards in every part of the country. Some of these challenges are as follows:
1 .The biggest challenge before the organization is to arrange proper laboratories for quality testing of food.
2. It is very important to arrange qualified manpower for testing and approval of the food items being prepared.
3. Re-evaluating the terms and conditions as per international standards is a big challenge.
4. Getting funding for advanced technologies is also a challenge.
5. Ensuring the proper license for each food item manufacturer or business is a difficult task.
FAQs related to FSSAI
- What is the main function of FSSAI?
FSSAI has three main functions:
i) To lay down science based standards for food articles.
ii) To control the manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import of food articles.
iii) Providing safe and nutritious food to the citizens.
- When was FSSAI established?
FSSAI was established on August 5, 2008 by Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss , former Union Minister .
- What is the FSSAI/Food License or Registration Fee?
Rs 100 for basic license
2000 to 5000 rupees for state license
7500 rupees for central license
I hope you must have liked this article of mine “What is FSSAI (FSSAI )” . I have tried my best to bring all the information related to FSSAI to you so that you do not have to go to any other website regarding this subject. If you liked this information or got to learn something new, then please share it on other social media networks .