Indian passport is considered to be the most powerful passport in the world. There are 59 countries in the world that allow us to come to our country without a visa. Whereas in some countries the visa on Indian passport can be made after reaching there. In today’s article, you will be told about passport in detail where you will learn about what is passport and how to make passport in India .
Along with this, you will also know about important information like documents required for passport, fees of passport and type of passport . So let’s move ahead and know the complete information in detail.
What is Passport?
A passport is an official travel document issued by the government that contains the identity of a given person.
A person holding a passport can travel to other countries and get consular assistance while abroad. Passport certifies the personal identity and nationality of its holder. In this, the person’s full name, photo, place of birth, signature and passport expiry date are given. Usually passports are issued by the national government . Some regional governments are also authorized to issue passports to people living within their borders.
How many types of passports are there?
Generally three types of passports are issued in India which include: ordinary passport, diplomatic passport and official passport.
Ordinary Passport : Ordinary passport i.e. ordinary passport is the passport which is issued to the common citizens of the country. It is of blue colour . Its validity is up to 10 years for an adult person while it is valid for 5 years for a minor. However, minors in the age group of 15 to 18 years can apply for a passport with a validity of 10 years.
Diplomatic Passport : Diplomatic Passport is issued to Indian diplomats, high rank government officials, Indian diplomats working abroad, members of the judiciary and any other person authorized by the central government. It is of maroon colour . Diplomatic passport holders are given some special facilities such as visa without fee, entry without visa and separate channels for immigration.
Official Passport : Official passport, also called government passport, is issued to a non-gazetted officer or a person authorized by the central government to travel abroad for government work. Its color is white . The official passport is issued for a maximum period of 5 years or for a specific period of time.
Apart from this, passport can be classified on the basis of pages, on the basis of the period of creation and also on the basis of validity, which you can see below.
- 36 pages
- 60 pages
depending on the period of
- 10-20 days for normal
- 3-7 days for urgent
on the basis of validity
- The passport for an adult is made for 10 years.
- For minors i.e. those below 18 years of age, the passport is made for 5 years.
- If the age is between 15-18 years then 10 years can also be applied for.
How is a passport made?
There was a time when people had to wait in long queues for hours to get a passport, which caused a lot of problems. But now the era has changed and we have entered the digital age. In the digital age, many tasks can be accomplished through the internet sitting at home.
Due to the increasing use of the Internet, the Government of India has also given the facility to complete many important works online. In these facilities, the facility of making an online passport is available, through which you can get a passport made sitting at home .
How to apply online for getting passport?
Follow the steps given below to make passport online:
1. First of all go to the official website of Passport Seva www.passportindia.gov.in .
2. Now click on the option of New User Registration. Here you will see the online passport application form which you have to fill.
3. Now you have to select the passport office of your city. If the name of your city is not in this list, then select the passport office of your nearest city. Apart from this, if you want, you can get a passport made from Delhi by selecting the option of CPV Delhi .
4. Now fill your required details such as Name, Date of Birth and E-mail ID. After that click on ‘Register’.
5. After the registration is complete, open your email ID where you will see the e-mail of passport registration . Open this e-mail and click on the given link to activate the account.
6. As soon as you click on the link, the official website of Passport Seva will open in front of you. Here enter your e-mail ID which you filled in the form. Your account will be activated.
7. After this again go to the website www.passportindia.gov.in and log in with ‘ Existing User Login ‘.
8. Now after login, click on Apply for fresh passport / Re-issue of passport .
9. Now you will see two options. The first option is to download the form and the second is to fill the form online.
10. Here we will learn to fill online form. If you want to fill the form offline then you have to click on the option “Click here to download the soft copy of form” in Alternative 1.
11. Click on “Click here to fill the application form online” in the second option Alternative 2 to fill the online form.
12. After this enter your current residential address (where you are currently residing) and click on ‘Next’. Now select your state and district and then click on ‘Next’.
13. Now go to Passport Type and click on the option of ‘Fresh Passport’. If you want to get a passport quickly, then choose the option of ‘Tatkaal’, but for this you will have to pay more. So you click on ‘Normal’. Now select the type of Passport Booklet and click on ‘Next’.
14. Now in the next page fill the applicant details such as your name, date of birth, pan card or voter ID, state, district and about your education. If you have passed 10th class then yes to non-ECR otherwise do no. Now click on ‘Save My Details’ and then click on ‘Next’.
15. After this another form will open in front of you in which you fill your family details. For example father name, mother name. Leave Legal Guardian blank. Now click on ‘Save My Details’ and click on ‘Next’.
16. Now fill your existing residential address. In this you will be asked whether your current address is outside India. Make it ‘No’ and ‘Yes’ if you live outside India.
After this, fill the date, house number, village, city, state, district of how long you have been living at your address, as well as fill in the name of your nearest police station and post office PIN. Now your mobile no. Enter another e-mail ID. If your present address is the permanent address then do yes otherwise do no. Now click on ‘Save My Details’ and then click on ‘Next’.
17. On the next page, if you want to give the name of someone for emergency contact, then you can fill the name of your father or friend. After that enter the mobile number. If you want, you can also enter the telephone number and e-mail ID. You click on ‘Save My Details’ and then click on ‘Next’.
18. Now you have to provide the contact details of 2 people for the references who can testify that the details given by you are correct. For this choose two people who know you well. Now save it and click on ‘Next’.
19. After coming to the next page, you will see the option of previous passport. Here you select ‘No’ in the first option because you are applying for a fresh passport for the first time. If you have ever applied for a passport before and you have not got a passport, then click on ‘Yes’. Now click on ‘Save My Details’ and then click on ‘Next’.
20. Now you will be asked some questions, read them carefully and answer them. As if you have any criminal record in the police station. If not, select ‘No’ in all. If you have ever committed a crime for which you have been punished, then reply and click on ‘Next’.
21. You can see the information filled by you on the Passport Preview Details page. Put your photo here and upload the photo of your signature. Now click on ‘Next’.
22. Now you will see the page of Self Declaration. Here enter the name of your place and then click on I Agree. If you want to avail SMS services then click on ‘Yes’ for which you will have to pay Rs 35, if not then click on ‘No’.
If you want, you can see the details of your form by clicking on ‘Preview Application Form’ and can also take a print out. If you scroll down the page a bit you will see a question if you want to share the details with third party then click on ‘No’. Now click on ‘Save My Details’ and then click on ‘Submit Form’.
23. Now you will be shown your application number, for which you have to click on ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’.
24. Now the page of Choose Payment Mode will open in front of you in which you can make online or offline payment. Choose one of these options.
25. Now you will see the page of Schedule Appointment. That is, your appointment has not been done yet. Now click on ‘Next’.
26. After this, you can see the names of the passport office in Appointment Availability, in which it will be shown at what time you can get the appointment. Now select passport office (PSK location) and fill in the captcha code. Now click on ‘Next’.
27. Now click on ‘Pay and Book Appointment’. If you want to make online payment for passport, then select the bank which you have credit or debit card or internet banking.
28. After all this is completed, if you want to see the details of your account, then go to the home page of the passport website and login. There you will see the option of ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ in services, click on it. Here you can see all the details by selecting your application form.
29. Finally you can take a print of your application form by clicking on ‘Print Application Receipt’. It will be needed while going to the Passport Seva Kendra.
Now visit the Passport Seva Kendra with all the necessary documents at the given appointment time. There your documents will be checked which may take 2 to 3 hours. After the police verification, your passport will reach your home within 10 to 20 days.
How to View Passport Online?
If you want to know your online passport status and want to know whether your passport is still in the post office or has left, then you can follow the steps given below.
Step:1 First of all go to the website of passport service and click on ‘Track Application’ option there.
Step:2 Now you will be asked to fill some details which have to be filled like this:
- Select Application Type – Here select the application type.
- File Number – Here you have to enter the 15 digit alphanumeric code given in your passport receipt.
- Date of Birth – Enter your date of birth and click on ‘Track Status’ .
Now you can see the status of your passport. If you are given a speed post number in it, then you can track it.
What are the documents required for getting a passport?
The following documents are required to get a passport.
- Aadhar card
- pan card
- 10th class marksheet
- voter card
- Birth certificate
- electricity bill
- water bill
- mobile number
- Ration card
- passport size photo
- bank passbook details
- driving license
- rent agreement
- proof of gas connection
- Guardian’s passport
- income tax assessment order
- school leaving certificate
Documents required for minor’s passport
- Birth certificate
- bank account passbook photo
- parent’s passport
- Certificate in the name of parents
- Aadhar Card or E-Aadhaar
- school leaving certificate
- pan card
How much is the passport fee?
The fees for getting a passport vary depending on the age, page and validity, which are as follows:
- If you want to make 36 pages passport then you have to pay 1500 rupees . If you want to get it done in Tatkal then you will have to pay an additional fee of Rs.2000. Its validity is 10 years.
- If you want to get 60 pages passport, then you have to pay 2000 rupees . If you want to get a tatkal passport, then an additional fee of Rs 2000 will have to be paid. It is valid for 10 years.
- If a passport is to be made for the age of less than 18 years, then its fee will be Rs 1000 and for Tatkal, Rs 2000 will have to be paid as an additional fee. It is a 36 page passport and is valid for 5 years.
- If your 36-page passport is stolen or lost, then you will have to pay a passport fee of Rs 3000 to get it made again . An additional fee of Rs 2000 will have to be paid for Tatkal.
- If your 60-page passport is stolen or lost, then you will have to pay a passport fee of Rs 3500 to get it made again . An additional fee of Rs 2000 will have to be paid for Tatkal.
In how many days does the passport arrive?
After getting the appointment, when you go for document verification. So after the police verification, the passport will reach your home within 15-20 days .
I hope you like my article “ What is a passport and how is it made? , How much is the passport fee? “Surely would have liked it. I have tried my best to explain every information related to passport kaise banwaye in simple words so that you do not need to go to any other website regarding this subject.
If you liked this information or got to learn something new, then please share it on other social media networks like whatsapp, facebook, telegram etc.